Running is the perfect way to get active – it’s free and you can start right outside your door!
Tips for the run commute
Some tips for the run commute are included below:
- Use a running journey planner or a running app to map your journey to work and find out the time, distance, elevation and calories burned.
- You might not run both ways – Taking public transport to work and then running back means that no shower is required at work.
- You don’t have to run with a backpack, a bum bag for essentials like keys and a wallet is a great alternative. An airflow backpack will avoid getting too hot and a hip belt will help to keep the backpack in place.
- You don’t have to wear fitness gear, but this will be lighter and more practical. Look for clothes with wicking fabrics and outer layers with vents.
Visit the Travel Devon website for more run commute tips.
Couch to 5k
If you need a base level of fitness before you try to run your commute, try the NHS Couch to 5k running plan.
It has been developed to help beginners get into running. It starts with a mix of running and walking to gradually build up your fitness and stamina.
Couch to 5k comes as an app or a podcast, which tells you when to start and stop running, as well as offering motivation and duration information along the way.
Running for leisure
A park run is a free timed 5 km running event that takes place every Saturday morning in countries all over the world. You only need to register once to turn up and take part wherever you want, whenever you want.
Joining a running club is the perfect way to keep motivated and most clubs have running groups for different levels. Clubs are a great way to find running partners to run with outside of club sessions. Run Together is the national body for running – use their website to find a local running group or route.
Active Devon also provides information of local running groups.
Further information and support
Active Devon is a community-focused, non-profit organisation dedicated to inspiring and supporting people in Devon to be active. They can help you get your workplace more active and support you with behaviour change campaigns, workplace challenges, programme management, design, consultancy and more. Please contact Active Devon via 01392 925 150 or email@example.com.
Want to encourage smarter travel to work at your workplace? Devon County Council can offer support* to organisations who want to enable their staff to travel more sustainably and actively. Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
*Support offered will depend on availability of funding, COVID-19 restrictions and engagement and commitment of your workplace.
When following our toolkits, please check the government guidance for safer travel.
This page was last updated March 2021.
- Run commute tips on the Travel Devon website: https://www.traveldevon.info/walk/walking-to-work/running-to-work/
- NHS Couch to 5K running plan: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/
- Park run website: http://www.parkrun.com/
- Run Together website: https://runtogether.co.uk/
- Active Devon – information on local running groups: https://devon.sportsuite.co.uk/activities
- Active Devon website: https://www.activedevon.org/